Migrating Windows on a physical server to KVM with Debian Jessie

Hi all!

A client who has a dermatology center currently uses a patient
management system that works on Windows. This system is installed on a
computer with a single disk.

I'm thinking of offering a migration of this system to a virtual machine
with KVM on Debian Jessie using software raid 1 with two disks and
mdadm. I think this would give a level of contingency that they now have
not given if that disk fails; they could have a very large dead time by
having to install the operating system, the medical management software
and then restore the backup.

I have also gotten some feedback saying Windows works better with KVM
than with physical hardware, although it is not something I have
validated because I don't use Windows regularly.

I was thinking of making an image of the current disk using "dd" (I
could even convert the raw disk to qcow if on this way the access is
more efficient), to start the KVM virtual machine with this disk image,
but I have doubts whether Windows might fail on the starting process
when discovering the hardware has changed.

I would like to know what opinions you have about it.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Daniel