Re: Multiple live iso's on a single bootable flash drive?

On Mon 02 May 2016 at 18:50:32 (+0100), Brian wrote:
> On Mon 02 May 2016 at 17:54:35 +0300, Piyavkin wrote:
> > On 01.05.2016 17:55, Brian wrote:

> > >Not a decent argument. Operations such as partitioning and formatting a
> > >USB stick and installing GRUB to its MBR all require root privilege.
> >
> > Of course, but the point is: with which «case there are lesser chances» to
> > shoot in own leg:
> >
> > Case 1: do sudo work and pay proper attention 1 time and fit for all.
> >
> > Case 2: do it every time when you update your boot collection on the
> > USB-drive.
>
> The events are independent. Carrying out an operation more than once
> does not change the probability of carrying it out correctly. I can
> claim I have used 'ls -l' fifty times in a day without error. :)

Er, you've switched argument. It's the probability of carrying
*them* (not *it*) out correctly which is important, and that
probability changes.

If you carry out an operation with a 99% success rate 23 times, the
likelihood of success overall drops to under 80%. Do it 69 times and
you're more likely to fail, than succeed overall.

> (Incidentally, a simple udev .rules file avoids having to be root to
> deal with a USB stick, so the issue doesn't arise for me).

That just makes it easier to accidentally wipe an important stick
(by shifting the point at which you take extra care).

Cheers,
David.