Re: Multiple live iso's on a single bootable flash drive?

On Mon 02 May 2016 at 17:54:35 +0300, Piyavkin wrote:

> On 01.05.2016 17:55, Brian wrote:
> >On Sat 30 Apr 2016 at 21:02:56 +0300, Piyavkin wrote:
> >
> >>What's wrong with it?
> >
> >Nothing, but a Ubuntu live ISO serves a different purpose from the
> >Debian installer. Which is not to say enhancing a netinst ISO is not
> >worthwhile and would benefit a few people. Patches to have iso-scan in
> >these ISOs' initrds were provided a couple of years ago and booting an
> >ISO with GRUB is on the installer team's list of feature requests.
> >Meanwhile, there is hd-media and a extra stanza in grub.cfg.
>
> Well, and that's a good part of the story.
> As I can see, the all needed functionality is already here. It just waiting
> for some reason to be incorporated in distros.

Shall we compare like and like? Not a Ubuntu (or other live image) with
the Debian installer but a Ubuntu live image with a Debian live image.
All six of the Debian live images can be copied to a single partition
and a selected one booted with GRUB. No difference compared with Ubuntu.

Any of the running live images can be installed to hard disk, Again no
difference compared with Ubuntu.

Where's the problem for a new or experienced user? What need is there
for iso-scan to be incorporated into a netinst initrd?

> >Not a decent argument. Operations such as partitioning and formatting a
> >USB stick and installing GRUB to its MBR all require root privilege.
>
> Of course, but the point is: with which «case there are lesser chances» to
> shoot in own leg:
>
> Case 1: do sudo work and pay proper attention 1 time and fit for all.
>
> Case 2: do it every time when you update your boot collection on the
> USB-drive.

The events are independent. Carrying out an operation more than once
does not change the probability of carrying it out correctly. I can
claim I have used 'ls -l' fifty times in a day without error. :)

(Incidentally, a simple udev .rules file avoids having to be root to
deal with a USB stick, so the issue doesn't arise for me).

[...Snip...]

> 3-rd, I guess, typical Debian user is not a total Linux newbie, who's
> problem are an ordinary partitioning process or grub install. I guess, them
> more interested in such capabilities as to boot multiple OS/versions from
> one partition or to run installers from virtually any commont USB-drive
> (properly prepared in advance and easily reconfigurable in use). And
> unexplained complication here — that is a problem.
>
> As living illustration to the last point we may look at our real situation:
> desirable multiboot from single flash drive (see subj of the thread). One
> solution suggests doing partitioning and all the hard stuff just once. Other
> — every time when new image added or old one changed and the complexity of
> the solution is growing with the changes. OK, I see that mapping .iso to
> stick is useful in some common situations (when you, for example, wish to
> present ready to use flash drive installer to someone else). But why the
> redundant work should be forced upon a user in a slightly more sophisticated
> situations? Can it lead to the situation when a skilled user (the target
> audience of the Debian) just be reluctant or simply tired repartitioning
> their USB-drive with every release and settle down with Linux distribs that
> do not demand to much without a reason?

Nothing is forced upon a user. Six Debian live images. One partition.
Add new images when necessary. Install if you wish. Multiboot without
tears. The OP probably has it up and running by now.

> Resume: I advocate that both alternatives should be presented in Debian
> distros. That'll make me happier.

They are! You should be overjoyed.

If you have gained the impression that isco-scan in a netboot initrd
would not be unwelcome to me but I won't lose any sleep over its
omission, then you have interpreted my feelings correctly.