Re: Posting picture files

On Sunday 01 May 2016 11:07:39 Sven Arvidsson wrote:

> On Sun, 2016-05-01 at 10:39 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > I tried sending a screenshot 25 minutes ago.  It has not so far
> >
> > turned
> >
> > > up. But another email I sent 5 minutes ago has turned up.  Whilst
> > > Debian Users list certainly accepts attachments, it does look as
> > > though it doesn't like screenshots.  Files over acceptable size??
> > >
> > > Lisi
> >
> > That would be my guess Lisi.  Someone mentioned a size limit in the
> > last
> > month or so, and I noted at the time that it seemed to be such a
> > small
> > limit as to be essentially worthless, but I don't recall the exact
> > figure.
>
>     "Do not submit an attachment larger than 10 KiB. Consider using
>     paste.debian.net and including a link in your post."

>lines.2C_and_Tips

Thanks Sven.  But it does seem rather archaic today, 100k would be a lot
more useful as attaching a well smunched screenshot is a lot less
trouble than running a browser, uploading the shot, and then sending the
URL, particularly since yahoo posters apparently can't send the URL
anymore from noise I am reading on yahoo hosted lists.  As I've said
before, the screenshot doesn't lie, but the text description can when
language barriers exist.

So I'd like to prose a compromise that recognizes the folks still on
dialup and at dialup speeds. Possibly paying by the minute for access.

Accept the attachment, but strip it from the message that goes back out
to the list and store it on paste.debian.org with a 30 day expire,
substituting the URL for the attachment, placing it above any sig
separators so the link would propagate in replies.

By this, you would protect the folks who do not have the bandwidth at low
cost available, while still offering a facility to show those who do
have the BW to participate, seeing the image/snapshot linked by no more
than clicking on the link in the email.

Whats not to like?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)