Re: Multiple live iso's on a single bootable flash drive?

On Fri 29 Apr 2016 at 18:45:16 +0200, Nicolas George wrote:

> Le primidi 11 floréal, an CCXXIV, Brian a écrit :
> > *All* Debian live images (the focus of this thread) are bootable from a
> > USB stick by GRUB.
>
> Are you sure you are talking about the same thing as me? I am talking about
> booting the image copied as a file on the stick, not copied raw on the
> stick.

I'm positive. :) Please see the final portion of Piyavkin's mail.

As for copying the image raw to a partition with dd - that also works.
An example:

  menuentry "Debian Live KDE" {
  search --label --set=root "Debian wheezy 20131014-01:18"
  linux /live/vmlinuz2 boot=live config quiet splash
  initrd /live/initrd2.img
  }

A little more work than using loopback with a file copied to the stick
but it can cater for images where loopback is of no help (like Debian
installer images). It requires some juggling with partition sizes when
using multiple images but my present stick has sixteen partitions.

> At the time I wrote the instructions page I pointed earlier, Debian install
> images could not do the former.

Changes creep up on us unawares.