Re: Portable Debian?

Joe:

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 19:05:26 +0100, you wrote:

>The most versatile system that I know of is Debian-based Knoppix, but
>the development effort goes into hardware detection and driving, with
>the result that it is not maintainable. It is installable to a hard
>drive, but you throw it away and install the next version when that
>becomes available, there is no carefully-designed upgrade path as with
>straight Debian.

Either I'm smarter than I think (LOL), or you're psychic. I looked at
Knoppix earlier this morning. I didn't know about the throwaway aspect
of it, though, so that is now out the window and I'm back to straight
Debian, from which I probably should not have strayed in the first
place.

>So I don't think it's possible to make a long-term boot-anywhere
>installation, but a 32-bit all-drivers Debian goes a long way towards
>the goal.

Right. That's what I'll do. I'm using it primarily for backup and
restore, so it's going to be really slimmed down. As long as it talks
(with Speakup) and I can put IFL on it, I'm happy. I've tried it
before with other distros such as Arch Linux but wasn't happy with the
results. Do you still think I should go the mech drive route and not
put it on a USB key?