Re: RECOMMEND: Wireless Home Router with VPN Built-In

On 04/26/2016 03:46 AM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2016, Lars Noodén wrote:>
>> On 04/25/2016 05:01 AM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>> Keep in mind that SSH can do a SOCKS proxy itself and thus you might
>> not even want to go to the trouble of setting up OpenVPN on top of
>> whatever you have.
>
> I just want something simple for security when I use public wifi on my
> phone or laptop for personal web and email.  It doesn't have to be
> NSA-proof. ;-)  But I'll look into that.

It's easy and simple, just use the SSH client the -D option and choose a
port and log into your router.  If you keep your SSH key in an agent,
which many desktop environments have available for your, then you can
just re-connect automatically.

One addendum, whether you use VPN or SOCKS proxy, is that if you have a
dynamic IP address you'll probably want to set up an account at a
dynamic DNS service.  That way if (when) your IP address changes while
you are away you wont have to cause suspicion by scanning your ISP's
whole network for your proxy.  ddclient, for example, is in the
repository.

Regards,
Lars