Re: Problems with vdpau

On Wed, 2016-04-20 at 14:07 +0530, Himanshu Shekhar wrote:
> I have no NVIDIA hardware, still there are packages that install
> packages
> containing vdpau in their name.
> Any such installation causes trouble as the CLI tty(s) (a.k.a.
> virtual
> consoles) are not available to use as long as any library related to
> vdpau
> are installed.
>
> Removal of any package having vdpau in its name resolves the problem.
> Is this the issue with vdpau?

VDPAU is also used for AMD GPUs, and can be used on Intel
with libvdpau-va-gl1 (but I suppose it's less efficient than using
VAAPI) so it's no surprise that is installed by default on most desktop
installs.

I would find it most peculiar if just installing the package could
prevent you from switching ttys. I have no such problems on a pure
intel system with vdpau packages installed.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson