Re: Beginning of the End for Wheezy [sigh!]

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016, Bob Holtzman wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 02:23:08PM +1000, Paul Trevethan wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 14:48:56 -0700
> > Bob Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:

> > > There is no mail list, only a forum. It shows systemd in it's
> > > package list.
> > >

> > Available if you want it in the repos - not installed. Read the
> > forum notes, it is designed as non-systemd.
>
> It may well be designed as non-systemd but the systend package is
> still listed. Why? The lack of a mail list still remains AFAICT.

Certain systemd libraries are dependencies for things like GNOME or
udev. So, even if you're using an init other than systemd's which can
be totally absent from the system, you still need some parts of it
for some things to work. One of the reasons so many disapprove of it.