Failed installs

I have for some time been, and after many attempts remain, unable to install Debian, which I previously have used for many years. The failures occur during "select and install", about a third of the way through, but not always at the same place. My terabyte disk is partitioned with /boot of 1gB, / of 500 gB, 16 gB of swap, and the rest as /home, with about 200M not used. I have 8 gB of ram. Ubuntu-gnome installs easily and functions correctly.

If you can suggest anything I would appreciate it. This is just bewildering to me. Thanks,