Re: Beginning of the End for Wheezy [sigh!]

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016, Michael Milliman wrote:

> I use Linux Mint on one of my machines.  It is init based, not
> systemd, and has Debian and Ubuntu as it's underpinnings.  All of the
> familiar things work great (apt, and all other packages I have used
> under straight Debian).  I think you might like that distribution as
> well. You can check out their home page at
> https://www.linuxmint.com.  I still have Debian running on my server
> system (Jessie with systemd), but I really like the Linux Mint system
> with init as well.  I've never really liked systemd, though I must
> admit it does work and do the job -- I just like the simplicity of
> the init system better.  Admittedly, I may well be undereducated on
> systemd resulting in my prejudice.

I'm evaluating a standard install of Mint (XFCE) running in VirtualBox.
No problems.  And right, it uses Upstart as the init, but still has
systemd files everywhere.  For dependency issues, I'm sure.  However,
I've yet to check if I can do a minimal terminal install, and build off
it with just X, a window manager, and a panel.  I like my system
kept small and light -- no extraneous crap like you get and never use,
and can't uninstall due to dependencies of the desktop environment.

My objection to systemd is philosophical:  It's contrary to the Unix
credo of simplicity, an OS busybody as it were.