Re: My script almost works but spams the terminal its launched from if useing dash.

On Saturday 16 April 2016 14:02:16 Thomas Schmitt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> >         if [[ ${InMail} = 'gene' ]]
>
> test(1) is supposed to be portable
>
>           if test "${InMail}" = 'gene'

Thats slightly different, printed for tomorrows experiments.  Thank you.
I need to reboot to bring in a fresh kernel that was updated earlier
today.  But I'm out of giddy-up, haveing repaired a dishwasher MCU based
control module today in my own dishwasher. The parts houses for such
wanted 266.55 USD for one that may, or may not have had the same
software.  But I found 3 of the teeny electrolytics in it, 10 u-f at 16
volts, were reading at about .02 u-f, so now there are a triplet of 10
u-f x 16 volt tantalum caps in it.  I don't enjoy working on a pcb that
has no schematic, not even online, but then I am also a C.E.T.
(Certified Electronics Technician), but will plead to quit a bit of rust
in the wet ram (its 81 yo now) in the 44 years since I sat down cold
without cracking a book, to take that test back in '72.

> > There are too many places where a conditional would be needed
>
> The classic way is to use only gestures which are supported by the
> Bourne shell and to avoid certain peculiarities of some shells.
> In ./configure scripts of source packages one can see gestures
> like
>
>           if test "x${InMail}" = xgene
>
> which avoids to compare empty variable content.

In normal everyday operation, the variable ${InMail} will not be empty.

> See also
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.64/html_node/P
>ortable-Shell.html
>

> Have a nice day :)