Re: My script almost works but spams the terminal its launched from if useing dash.

On Saturday 16 April 2016 12:44:55 Sven Joachim wrote:

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh has some information how to make
> scripts portable.  The checkbashisms command in the devscripts package
> can help you detect common non-portable constructions in your scripts.
>
> Cheers,
>        Sven

A bookmarked now, much better explanatory link, thank you Sven.

I think for my stuff, I should export the value of /bin/sh, write a
wrapper script to determine what /bin/sh is, and run the correct script
to get the identical wanted functionality based on the value of the
export.  There are too many places where a conditional would be needed
so it would use command A or command B, and thats going to slow it down
much more than just re-writing it into 2 scripts and running the correct
one w/o all that gingerbread & bloat.

I have at least 3 background helper scripts, all of which would need to
be fixed for the diffs.

However, I'll go on record as opposing any motions to remove bash, the
old man on the mountain of cli shells still gets the job done.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)