Re: Repository Problem

On 04/15/2016 03:18 PM, Sven Hartge wrote:
Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 01:06:18PM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
I just had a catastrophic crash which necessitated reinstalling
Debian.  I had been running v-7.2,but decided to upgrade to v-7.10
with a complete install.

Now when I update the repositories, regardless of the tool, Synaptic
or Aptitude, I get the following errors:

W: Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/updates/main/source/Sources: 404  Not Found [IP: 2610:148:1f10:3::89 80]
I do not get these errors if I comment out the deb-src lines in the
sources.list.
Those are IPv6 addresses. I would guess that you don't have an
IPv6 connection available to you, or it's misconfigured.
He then would get a timeout or host unreachable and not a 404 HTTP error
code.

What it looks like is this: he has URLs for the sources of security
updates (wheezy/updates) configured for the wrong host, because
debian.gtisc.gatech.edu does not carry those.
debian.gtisc.gatech.edu??? None of the information in the OPs query mentions this host. All of his sources.list lines are using http://http.us.debian.org. The issue is that http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/updates does not exist. A casual look with a browser reveals this.

Here is the lines that should be in the sources.list file

deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy-updates/main/source/Sources deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy-updates/contrib/source/Sources deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy-updates/non-free/source/Sources

The OP has mistakenly .../wheezy/updates/... instead of /wheezy-updates/... in his deb-src lines

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Mike