Re: Incorrect arp reply when bonding and 3rd interface are on same LAN.

Mimiko <vbvbrj@gmail.com> wrote:

> A server has 3 interfaces: eth0, eth1, eth2. I've setup a bond12 with
> mode adaptive-alb with eth1 and eth2. Now interfaces have:

> iface eth0 inet static
> address x.x.x.1
> netmask 255.255.255.0

> iface bond12 inet static
> address x.x.x.2
> netmask 255.255.255.0

> All interfaces are connected to 3 different switches which are on same
> LAN (switches are interconnected).

This is bad.

> The problem is that when I do from another computer:

> arping -c 1 -I eth0 x.x.x.1

> or

> arping -c 1 -I eth0 x.x.x.2

> in both cases I receive two mac addresses: one for eth0 and another for
> currently active interface in the bond. This confuses clients and there
> are problem when accessing servicing on incorrect interface regarding
> the IP.

This is the way Linux Networking works when multiple interfaces are
connected to the same LAN. "Weak Host Model" is your research hint.

> What could be the problem?

The problem is, that Linux does not behave in the way you expect it to
behave. The simplest solution would be to have all interfaces in one
ALB bond and configure both IPs on that.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.