Re: VPN over IPv6

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 10:09:58PM -0500, Philippe Clérié wrote:
On 04/14/2016 08:38 PM, John Hasler wrote:
Philippe Clérié wrtes:
I thought it somewhat strange since I believe IPv6 essentially removes
the need for VPN.

How?

Well, it's just the way IPv6 works.

By now, I suspect most IPv4 networks use private addresses, i.e. 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/16, 192.168.0.0/24. So, it makes sense to have a VPN between two different networks with such addresses so that they can communicate.

With IPv6, every* address is routable over the internet, and there is
no equivalent set of private addresses like the above. Therefore any two IPv6 networks should be directly accessible to each other, obviating the need for VPN or NAT for that matter.

Plus IPv6 is already encrypted.

I suspect you're thinking of this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6#Network-layer_security) "Internet Protocol Security (IPsec) was originally developed for IPv6, but found widespread deployment first in IPv4, for which it was re-engineered. IPsec was a mandatory specification of the base IPv6 protocol suite, but has since been made optional."

--
For more information, please reread.