Re: Modified Rapture<g>, and a new question

<G>  New developments!  When I turned my machine on this morning, I was given
a lovely blue screen with "Alan McConnell" in a box in the center and a space for
the password just below.  I typed in my password and was presented with a bunch of
icons on the left hand side of the screen.  Very pretty.  But when I clicked on any
of them, trying to find a terminal emulator so I can run from the command line, I
get a frowny face, telling me that an error occurred(???) and the system is suspending.
All I can do is click OK and then I get put into the original login screen, as above.
I am not given a clue what the problem is.  I do know that I don't have an .Xauthority
file in /home/alan, and this may be part of the difficulty.  Does anyone know how to
create an .Xauthority with  xauth?  I find the man page of xauth pretty impenetrable.

 [  What is the difference between hitting the reset button, causing a reboot, and
turning the machine off?  It seems that there is one; otherwise why didn't I get this
result yesterday?  ]

I am still not able to connect to "the Internet" aka the outside world, and I don't
know why this is.  I am living in a retirement community and when I first moved in, in
December, a staff member came in with a router, connected my machine to it, and it
"worked".  That was with   wheezy  .  I haven't a clue why it doesn't work with
  jessie .  Of course this is a problem that I can expect only suggestions from the
friendly and innovative members of this E-list<G>.