Re: Modified Rapture<g>, and a new question

On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 11:28:03 +0000 (UTC)
Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:

> On 2016-04-05, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >>         Result of my GNOME install:  I typed   'startx'  from my
> >> command line, and I got a beautiful blue screen, a delight to the
> >> eye after days of perusing tiny
>
> I get that too (blue, it must be the default desktop watchamacallit,
> with a light-grayish swirl in the middle).
>

> >>         characters on a black display.  And in the middle of the
> >> blue screen there was a handsome mouse arrow, which moved around
> >> elegantly when controlled by my right hand.
> >

> Have you moved it elegantly to the extreme upper-left hand corner of
> the display?
>
> > Progress indeed.
> >
> >>         And that was _all_!!  No icons, nothing to click on . . .
> >> I typed on the keyboard, no reaction . . .   There must be some
> >> simple way to get a proper GNOME started, but since I've never
> >> used it before, I wonder if someone can give me a hint.
> >
> > The gnome I have has 'Activities' in the top left of the screen.
> >

> Right. Activities. Wonder what they mean by that.

It's as good a name as any, I suppose. The GNOME Overview is the
central location where everything from the applications menu to open
windows to a window list to workspaces are located, so it would make
sense to give it some generic name. "Activities" means pretty much
everything one would want to do with a computer.