Re: Grossly OT - WW2 start

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 11:46:37 -0400
Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> On Saturday 26 March 2016 08:22:06 Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>
> > On 26/03/16 01:13, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Thanks Tom.  Its hell for an old fart who can still remember his
> > > grandfathers tears the night of Dec 7, 1941.  Tears because he knew
> > > we would declare war.
> > >
> > > And I believe thats the last war we fully intended to win.  Its all
> > > been downhill since.
> > >
> > > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> >
> > Hmm, despite what you guys seem to think, WW2 started on 1 Sept 1939.
>
> This is very offtopic, but it may have started even before that for some
> of you on that side of the pond. My deepest sympathies to those who were
> close enough to that and suffered thru it and lived.

I consider the second world war an extension of the first- there really was only one "hot" World War, from the 1910s to the 1940s, with two major outbreaks of violence as the old (European) imperial order collapsed and the new (American) imperial order arose.

The net result was that Europe was knocked off its throne and the US ascended to Europe's former position in those turbulent 40 years or so.