Re: ssh-ing in inside private network

On Thu 31 Mar 2016 at 14:38:05 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 01:32:05PM +0100, Brian wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > There is also dropbear as a lightweight SSH2 server and client. Using
> > it in preference to openssh is useful for resource constrained machines.
>
> Yes, there are nifty tricks like embedding dropbear in the initrd, so
> you can, e.g. enter the LUKS encryption passphrase to a server over the
> 'net.
>
> But I'd consider all of that "advanced usage" :-)

Indeed it is.

I had in mind a machine with 1GB of disk space; every MB of usage
counts. openssh-server takes six times as much space as dropbear; and
that is without taking its dependencies into account! If all the
features of openssh are not needed dropbear is as simple to install and
use. Most people would not notice any difference.