Re: Changing Boot Order

On 25 March 2016 at 21:01, Alan McConnell <alan@his.com> wrote:
First, thanks for all the responses.  They fell into two classes:
those who advised repeating tapping/pressing on either the F!!
key or the Delete key.  I've done that dozens of times, and
received no responses.   And I can't change the screen which
asks me which kernel I want to boot.  I get the top entry, and
that's that.

Others have suggested changing /etc/default/grub.  I've tried
that too, and have run 'update-grub' afterward.  It doesn't seem
to have done anything.  Perhaps someone can post an example of
an /etc/default/grub where the boot order is explicitly described?

I have found the paper manual for this, aftee some searching<g>.
It is labeled like the picture that appears on the boot., except
that it has Z97 and H97 on the bottom, and is labeled User Guide
It doesn't assume any kind of problem with accessing the boot
menu.  But it does give a URL for Tech Support:  register.msi.com .
There you have to sign up.  I've tried to sign up, but without
success.

There you have it.  I'm stymied on all fronts.  Again I plea
for help!

​Maybe you could try this:​

ie use an ubuntu package called StartUp-Manager

also see the grub cusomizer package used in ubuntu produced by Daniel Richter:

It can change boot order.

There is another package for Ubuntu called rEFind that might be helpful:

MF

​There are some extra suggestions here:​

Regds

MF

TIA,

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
   "Women run for office to do something, and men run for