Re: Changing Boot Order

On 03/25/2016 07:16 PM, Alan McConnell wrote:
On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 06:04:12PM -0400, songbird wrote:
   i just tried this to make sure it worked as described
and it worked so i'm not sure what you didn't do correctly.

   when your grub boot screen flashes there will be a list
of entries to select.  the default if you haven't changed
anything is 0.  i.e. the first item on that list.
   	   OK, I must apologize.  Massive confusion here.
	   You are telling me which of the several kernels
	   I have that I can boot.  But when I wrote "Boot Order"
	   I was referring to being able to boot first from
	   the flash drive, then from the DVD drive, and
	   then, if there isn't a bootable flash drive inserted,
	   then the BIOS will check if there is a bootable DVD
	   inserted . . .  Only if there is no bootable USB thumb
	   drive inserted, or a bootable DVD, will the OS move
	   on to boot one of the kernels you have.

	   I have a DVD, containing the first DVD of the Debian
	   jessie, and a USB stick, which I believe contains the
	   rest of  jessie , and I wish to install jessie using
	   these purchases.  But I can't if I can't get anything
	   to boot except the old wheezy kernels that have been
	   on my system for ever.

	   Sorry for the confusion.

Alan

Perhaps I am not understanding the problem, but boot order for _devices_ (not kernels or operating systems) is controlled by the computer BIOS. When you turn on the computer, there is usually some sort of message that says what key to press to access the BIOS setup routines. If there is not, the usual suspects are Del, or F2, or perhaps Esc. If you have the manual for your machine (or the MOBO in it) it should tell you. Some computers are a bit fussy about exactly _when_ you press
the key, so if it doesn't seem to work, try again.

--doug