Re: Changing Boot Order

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 06:04:12PM -0400, songbird wrote:

>   i just tried this to make sure it worked as described
> and it worked so i'm not sure what you didn't do correctly.
>
>   when your grub boot screen flashes there will be a list
> of entries to select.  the default if you haven't changed
> anything is 0.  i.e. the first item on that list.
  	   OK, I must apologize.  Massive confusion here.
	   You are telling me which of the several kernels
	   I have that I can boot.  But when I wrote "Boot Order"
	   I was referring to being able to boot first from
	   the flash drive, then from the DVD drive, and
	   then, if there isn't a bootable flash drive inserted,
	   then the BIOS will check if there is a bootable DVD
	   inserted . . .  Only if there is no bootable USB thumb
	   drive inserted, or a bootable DVD, will the OS move
	   on to boot one of the kernels you have.

	   I have a DVD, containing the first DVD of the Debian
	   jessie, and a USB stick, which I believe contains the
	   rest of  jessie , and I wish to install jessie using
	   these purchases.  But I can't if I can't get anything
	   to boot except the old wheezy kernels that have been
	   on my system for ever.

	   Sorry for the confusion.

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
   "Women run for office to do something, and men run for