Re: User's bin path not recognised in login script

On 24/03/16 00:30, David Wright wrote:

I don't know what you mean by   "login" script   because you haven't
yet told us (I believe) what your machine is configured to do when
you boot it up. If you've installed some sort of Desktop Environment,
then the DE has the responsibility of selecting the shell that runs
your   "login" script   and, indeed, what the filename of that script
is.

You're right - I didn't explicitly tell you that my desktop environment is Mate which I chose when I installed Debian recently. There's a "Control Centre" which has a GUI application "Startup Applications" which is pre-populated by items such as "GPG Password Agent", "Mate Settings Daemon", "Pulse Audio", etc. You can add your own item by specifying name and command. This is where I added a bash script I wrote which I called "Login" which is located in ~/bin. All my other scripts in there are run in a Mate terminal or via a launcher icon on the desktop, and in both cases they use the path set up in ~/.bashrc.

Anyway, thanks for the information (including the existence of dash). Unfortunately I don't have time to delve deeper into this now as I have another project that has reared its head, so I'd ask you not to spend any more of your time responding, as I will not revisit this thread. And thanks to all other responders for their efforts.