Re: Further to my installation error

On Sun 20 Mar 2016 at 11:54:20 (+0300), Adam Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 22:21:58 +0000
> Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Friday 18 March 2016 20:49:55 David Wright wrote:
> > > It's far more likely that you forgot to format the partition, if
> > > that's indeed what you wanted to do.
> >
> > No.  I checked and double checked that the partitions on the disk
> > which I wanted to use for installation were all marked with the F for
> > format, and that nothing on the disk it had been told to leave alone
> > had an F.  It kept wanting to format the spare disk's swap, which I
> > did not want.
>
> Why not? You wanted to carry over the swap created by a previous
> installation?

Neither grub nor the installer handle partition labels very well.
If you've labelled your swap partition, letting the installer
loose on it means you have to restore the label each time.

The d-i does want to format it, and it's fairly insistent that it at
least be given one to use, but it can be dissuaded from both.
The documentation also tells you not to
# mkswap -L abcd00 /dev/sdz9
# swapon /dev/sdz9
after the partitioner has run but before the base installation, but
I've had no problems doing that in the past. (Remember installing
linux on a Texas Travelmate with 8MB memory...)

All this may be different for people encrypting swap or using
containers etc.

Cheers,
David.