Re: x86_64 vs i386

On 2016-03-20 at 14:51, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Sunday 20 March 2016 18:43:03 Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> And since all this is also going to bring in systemd,
>
> Why??

Because a new Debian install, with current install media, installs
systemd. You can go out of your way and take extra steps to remove it
and install sysvinit again, if you know what you're doing - I think even
before rebooting into the newly-installed system - but it's not
sufficiently trivial and straightforward for most people to consider
worth tackling. (Even then, systemd has still been brought in, even if
you've kicked it straight back out again.)

That's unless things have changed since the last news I heard on this
front, but since I did an install (either of latest stable or of current
testing, I forget which) within the past month and did not see any
simpler way of installing without systemd, I don't really expect that
they have.

--
   The Wanderer