Re: x86_64 vs i386

On Sunday 20 March 2016 13:54:09 Dan Ritter wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 01:45:04PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > One of the problems I have is architecture related, synaptic thinks
> > for some unfathomable to me reason, that this is an i386 machine.
> > But its not, currently running kernel 3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64, and no
> > currently installed 32 bit application has a problem.
>
> That implies that you have a 64 bit capable machine, running a
> hand-selected 64 bit kernel, with a 32 bit userland.

Quad core amd phenom.

> This is a generally usable configuration, but ends up with problems
> like what you are facing now.
>
> > But now all the browser coders have thrown i386 machines under the
> > bus, and I'm apparently stuck with the broken i386 stuff left
> > behind.
> >
> > How can I convince the package managers to search for x86_64 stuff
> > in the repos and install it.
>
> You need to convert your machine from i386 to x86_64.
>
> There's an entry in the wiki:
> https://wiki.debian.org/Migrate32To64Bit
>
> but it doesn't look very trustworthy/up to date.
>
> > All my reload the repo databse errors point to it looking for
> > non-existant i386 version of this or that, when obviously (to me at
> > least) I see no valid reason for refusing to install x86_64 stuff.
> >
> > Or should I bite the bullet, go buy 2 new drives and do a fresh
> > x86_64 install?
>
> I would do that. If you have good backups and are willing to
> spend a weekend or so in an indeterminate state, you could go
> for the in-place conversion.
>
> -dsr-

Well, to both of you, I did that, it wanted to remove iceweasel, which it
did, but to install the 64 bit version pulls in around 125 new 64 bit
files, which the i386 versions in turn cannot be removed without ripping
out everything.

So now to grab the iso's, hopefully either chromium or konquerer can find
and download them.

And since all this is also going to bring in systemd, and I've not a clue
if the real app, one that must run, the sim version of linuxcnc will run
on a jessie install. But I'm about to ask on that list.  Looks like I go
get a couple commodity hard drives though.  So I'll be back whenever I
have it all in hand.

Thanks, both of you, Dan and Christian.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)