Re: x86_64 vs i386

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 01:45:04PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> One of the problems I have is architecture related, synaptic thinks for
> some unfathomable to me reason, that this is an i386 machine.  But its
> not, currently running kernel 3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64, and no currently
> installed 32 bit application has a problem.

That implies that you have a 64 bit capable machine, running a
hand-selected 64 bit kernel, with a 32 bit userland.

This is a generally usable configuration, but ends up with problems like
what you are facing now.

> But now all the browser coders have thrown i386 machines under the bus,
> and I'm apparently stuck with the broken i386 stuff left behind.
>
> How can I convince the package managers to search for x86_64 stuff in the
> repos and install it.

You need to convert your machine from i386 to x86_64.

There's an entry in the wiki:
https://wiki.debian.org/Migrate32To64Bit

but it doesn't look very trustworthy/up to date.

> All my reload the repo databse errors point to it looking for
> non-existant i386 version of this or that, when obviously (to me at
> least) I see no valid reason for refusing to install x86_64 stuff.
>
> Or should I bite the bullet, go buy 2 new drives and do a fresh x86_64
> install?

I would do that. If you have good backups and are willing to
spend a weekend or so in an indeterminate state, you could go
for the in-place conversion.

-dsr-