Re: x86_64 vs i386

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 18:52:03 +0100
Christian Seiler <christian@iwakd.de> wrote:

> On 03/20/2016 06:45 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > One of the problems I have is architecture related, synaptic thinks
> > for some unfathomable to me reason, that this is an i386 machine.
> > But its not, currently running kernel 3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64, and no
> > currently installed 32 bit application has a problem.
> >
> > But now all the browser coders have thrown i386 machines under the
> > bus, and I'm apparently stuck with the broken i386 stuff left
> > behind.
> >
> > How can I convince the package managers to search for x86_64 stuff
> > in the repos and install it.
>
> Since you are using a backports 3.16 kernel, I assume you are using
> Wheezy, which already understands Multi-Arch. In that case, just do
>
> dpkg --add-architecture amd64

He appears to already have amd64 enabled- hence his ability to run an
amd64 kernel. He also speaks of manually specifying amd64 package
installation, implying he already has that architecture enabled- his
problem is the fact that installing amd64 versions of all his binaries
would result in him losing all his i386 binaries.

Synaptic thinks he has an i386 machine post amd64 installation.