Re: Further to my installation error

Gene Heskett composed on 2016-03-20 05:34 (UTC-0400):

Adam Wilson wrote:

On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 22:21:58 +0000 Lisi Reisz wrote:

> No.  I checked and double checked that the partitions on the disk
> which I wanted to use for installation were all marked with the F
> for format, and that nothing on the disk it had been told to leave
> alone had an F.  It kept wanting to format the spare disk's swap,
> which I did not want.

Why not? You wanted to carry over the swap created by a previous
installation?

Doing that, leaving a potentially dirty swap for a new install?  No
sensible reason to do so, format that puppy.

In multiboot, re-formatting swap is a problem creator. Mounting is generally via UUID. Formatting changes UUID. Missing UUID at boot usually means booting into rescue mode to repair fstab. So at best, assuming one swap per system and not mounting by device name, one installation *might be* benefited to the (probable) detriment of only one installation. In all other cases in which a unique swap per installation is not used (which never happens here), and swap mounting is not by device name (here, swap is often by device name), one installation might be benefited, to the detriment of multiple installations.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/