Re: Installing newer kernels

On Fri 18 Mar 2016 at 22:52:25 (+0000), Brian wrote:
> On Fri 18 Mar 2016 at 16:09:47 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> > > Your proper route for eliciting a response would be in the referenced
> > > thread and not as an aside on an unrelated matter.
> >
> > Felix Miata asked a question of you in that post.
>
> Felix Miata asked a question of the List.

I merely meant that the question was posed under a piece of text
written by you. I'm sorry if writing "asked a question of you" offends
you in some way. It wasn't designed to offend or provoke.

> Directing it at something I
> said does not oblige me to answer it nor prevent anyone searching with
> 'usb boot without bios support' and providing a response.

Agreed; that's what mailing lists are all about.

> > Should I ask the same question and attach it to the same post as Felix did?
> > Or should I say "Me Too!" and attach it to Felix's post?
> > I can't see any role for me in that subthread besides those.
>
> Not having anything to contribute is always a good reason for keeping
> quiet.

Precisely; that's why I left the subthread alone, "proper route" or not.

> > OTOH mentioning the thread here might cause William Lee Valentine,
> > or others, to take an interest if his Pentium III, like mine, won't
> > boot from USB without "ways around it". Is mentioning one thread
> > in another improper? It's not as if one can talk behind someone's
> > back in a public list.
>
> William Lee Valentine's only post is about installing newer kernels and
> has nothing to with booting a Debian image. Bringing up the latter
> topic is not improper, just pointless.

David Christensen's recommendation for upgrading such an old kernel is
a move to wheezy. He prefers installation to upgrading (supported by
Ric Moore) but thinks the machine might not be able to boot the
Debian installer from USB or CD. I disagreed about the CD, which is
why I wrote my post.

I then made a casual remark about booting from a USB. Why? Because
I was intrigued by the possibility of your knowing a workaround.
If Felix hadn't written his post, I might have posted something.
But I can't work out why an aside attracted criticism enough for
you to bring it to everyone's attention; a breach of etiquette
to mention one thread in another?

And don't be afraid that I will asphyxiate if nobody answers Felix's
question straight away. :)

Cheers,
David.