Re: Need help salvaging what I can from major disaster

OK, post-mortem:

  1. after reviewing everything, the best hypothesis I have is that
the root of the problem was a bug in my backup script: it should have
checked that the backup disk was properly mounted before proceeding
with the back-up; something may have gone wrong with the mounting of
XD after it was reformatted, but this failure went undetected; rsync
just created the target directory under /media in HD.

  2. it looks like photorec can find a fair bit of recoverable data
from the first XD backup, but it's going to be a long slog to sort out
the recovered files (400GB's worth); for most of this I have an older
backup from 5 months ago; so the problem will be to identify the stuff
added since then.

I guess this is what learning Debian in the "school of hard knocks" is
all about...  This one knocked me out cold.

kj