Re: lxde/openbox temp. deactivate touchpad?

On Sunday 28 February 2016 16:24:12 David Wright wrote:

> On Sun 28 Feb 2016 at 11:37:05 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > >   use the command synclient TouchPadOff=1 to turn it off
> >
> > A previous poster asked about a hot-key combo to turn in on or off.
> >
> > And this triggers a very long standing ( a decade plus ) sore point,
> > like hitting your thumb with a hammer, again, therefore:
> >
> > rant mode ON!
> >
> > The hot-key combo is the only sensible way, because whointuncket is
> > going to remember that whole phrase quoted above, uppercase
> > characters in the right places & all, to assign that on or off.
>
> Alias? Shell function? On my system, every single-letter command is
> undefined except "w".
>
> I can't speak for Desktop Managers, only Window Managers. There's
> typically a toolbar (FvwmButtons in fvwm) where you could have a
> button to toggle the touchpad.
>
> > Side rant: Where the heck is this even documented? Come on folks,
> > fess up! Just having that one liner available seems to be one of
> > linux's biggest, most well kept secrets, and something that
> > lappy/notebook users would cheerfully sell the family farm to know.
> > And that lack is the same stuff usually found on the ground behind
> > the male of the bovine specie.
>
> Assuming you're in X, the module that runs it is
> xserver-xorg-input-synaptics whose
> /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/README.Debian starts
>
>  xserver-xorg-input-synaptics for Debian
>  ---------------------------------------
>
>  This package contains the Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org X
> server. See also the README file for details on configuration options.
>
>  Runtime configuration
>  ---------------------
>
>  The synclient and xinput tools allow configuring various aspects of
> the driver's behaviour.  See the synaptics(4) man page for details of
> the configurable options.
>
> man synclient tells you that running synclient with no arguments lists
> all the options.
>
> $ synclient | grep -i off
>     TouchpadOff             = 0
> $
>
> There are 58 other options too.
>
> If there _was_ a pain, it was when tapping was the default, years ago.
>
> > /rant off.
>
> Whew!

Chuckle, but I just now found out why the pad is totally dead even with
the mouse dongle unplugged, couldn't use it if I wanted to, that driver
is not installed.  I did the install with a std wireless mouse active.
I bet theres a clue in that. The installer didn't think it needed
another pointing device when it already had one. ;-)

I just tested again, the pad is dead, but the buttons still work.  Thats
rather worthless since you don't have a pointer to tell the menu that
pops up what to do.  I guessed, hit an x on the keyboard and the
requester went away with doing anything I am aware of.  It might have
killed all the neighbors cats, in which case I am likely in trouble if
they ever find out.

Same principle as washing your car, it always rains & the mud is then 3"
deep.  But that mud still has a full dose of winter road salt in it.

So: Trivia factoid for the day, if you normally run with a conventional,
mouse, leave it plugged in while you do the install. Looks like nearly
the best way to terminate that kluge, with prejudice. ;-)

> Cheers,
> David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)