Re: lxde/openbox temp. deactivate touchpad?

On Sunday 28 February 2016 08:04:01 lostson wrote:

> On 02/28/2016 04:56 AM, BerndSchmittNews wrote:
> > Hello,
> > under debian7 I was using gpoint.... to temporarily deactivate
> > touchpad. My acer laptop drives me crazy, after a while the pointer
> > is running wild. I hoped that this would not happen in debian8, but
> > maybe it is a hardware failure, so I have to live/deal with it.
> >

> > thanks
> > Bernd
>
>   use the command synclient TouchPadOff=1 to turn it off

A previous poster asked about a hot-key combo to turn in on or off.

And this triggers a very long standing ( a decade plus ) sore point, like
hitting your thumb with a hammer, again, therefore:

rant mode ON!

The hot-key combo is the only sensible way, because whointuncket is going
to remember that whole phrase quoted above, uppercase characters in the
right places & all, to assign that on or off.

Side rant: Where the heck is this even documented? Come on folks, fess
up! Just having that one liner available seems to be one of linux's
biggest, most well kept secrets, and something that lappy/notebook users
would cheerfully sell the family farm to know. And that lack is the same
stuff usually found on the ground behind the male of the bovine specie.

Because the touchpad is such a pain in the a$$, it was and is a solution
in search of a problem, my decade & change old hp 5120us lappy gets it
turned off in the bootup, and runs with a wireless mouse plugged in.
And I don't have to worry that the next 2 characters I type, will,
because my thumb got too close to that POS, highlights the whole 26kb
text file I am editing so that the next keystroke clears 2 chapters of
the Great American Novel, with no equivalent undo function to be found.

To me, the obvious thing is to find wherever the heck the gui you are
running, has hidden the hoykey managers editor, and assign a hotkey to
be an unused Fn+pgup to enable it, or that same FN+pgdn to disable it.
Using the above syntax's as the alias.  That way, the chances of a
random cat walking on the keyboard screwing with you are minimized.

/rant off.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)