Re: lxde/openbox temp. deactivate touchpad?

On Sun 28 Feb 2016 at 11:37:05 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 28 February 2016 08:04:01 lostson wrote:
> > On 02/28/2016 04:56 AM, BerndSchmittNews wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > under debian7 I was using gpoint.... to temporarily deactivate
> > > touchpad. My acer laptop drives me crazy, after a while the pointer
> > > is running wild. I hoped that this would not happen in debian8, but
> > > maybe it is a hardware failure, so I have to live/deal with it.

> >   use the command synclient TouchPadOff=1 to turn it off
>
> A previous poster asked about a hot-key combo to turn in on or off.
>
> And this triggers a very long standing ( a decade plus ) sore point, like
> hitting your thumb with a hammer, again, therefore:
>
> rant mode ON!
>
> The hot-key combo is the only sensible way, because whointuncket is going
> to remember that whole phrase quoted above, uppercase characters in the
> right places & all, to assign that on or off.

Alias? Shell function? On my system, every single-letter command is
undefined except "w".

I can't speak for Desktop Managers, only Window Managers. There's
typically a toolbar (FvwmButtons in fvwm) where you could have a
button to toggle the touchpad.

> Side rant: Where the heck is this even documented? Come on folks, fess
> up! Just having that one liner available seems to be one of linux's
> biggest, most well kept secrets, and something that lappy/notebook users
> would cheerfully sell the family farm to know. And that lack is the same
> stuff usually found on the ground behind the male of the bovine specie.

Assuming you're in X, the module that runs it is xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
whose /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/README.Debian starts

 xserver-xorg-input-synaptics for Debian
 ---------------------------------------

 This package contains the Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org X server.
 See also the README file for details on configuration options.

 Runtime configuration
 ---------------------

 The synclient and xinput tools allow configuring various aspects of the
 driver's behaviour.  See the synaptics(4) man page for details of the
 configurable options.

man synclient tells you that running synclient with no arguments lists
all the options.

$ synclient | grep -i off
    TouchpadOff             = 0
$

There are 58 other options too.

If there _was_ a pain, it was when tapping was the default, years ago.

> /rant off.

Whew!

Cheers,
David.