Re: a server question?

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 11:21:38AM -0500, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> Hi,
> Let me speak to your fine questions below, the ones I can answer I mean.
>

> On Thu, 25 Feb 2016, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> >This is Alpine complaining that it lost its connection to the
> >server?
>
> yes.  I am running Alpine when it happens.
>

> >To try to help debugging the problem, it'd be useful to know
> >
> >- - where Alpine is running: on the remote server? On your home
> > machine?
>
> Alpine is running on the dreamhost servers.  I access the Ubintu
> shell they provide via ssh tellnet.

OK. That means that the (possibly?) imap server provided by dreamhost
is, at times, not reachable from your dreamhost. A network issue would
be my second choice, since you are logged in and that side, at least,
seems to work.

> >- - how is Alpine connected to "its" server? POP? imap?
> >
> To the best of  my knowledge it is an imap configuration.  So I was
> told when dreamhost did the setup.

If they did the setup, the above should be enough for them to debug
the problem.

Alternatiely, you might use fetchmail to get the mail off the imap
server and use Alpine or mutt to read your local mailbox. That
would make you a bit more independent of outages (you dont get
new mail during the outage, but fetchmail keeps patiently trying
in the background).

> >- - where is this server? Is it your provider's server? Is it
> > on your machine?
>
> My providers server.  At one time they moved my account closer,
> alpine also closes   when I follow a link in emails sometimes as
> well.

Sorry. I can't quite parse that sentence.

I'd expect that following links in Alpine won't correspond
to your usual "Web experience" since you are logged in via
ssh, right? A link typically throws you into a browser. Do
you get a text browser (e.g. links, lynx or some such)? Your
"experience" will be much different to what you might expect
with all this Javascript and HTML5 cr^H^H goodnes around
these days. But first I'd understand your sentence above.

regards
- -- t