a server question?

Hi everyone,
Our nonprofit organization has an account with dreamhost.
www.dreamhost.com
they provide a shell using Ubuntu, which I use exclusively to manage things like email. They provide alpine, which functions for me elsewhere fine, but has issues on the dreamhost side.
My question is about something more general though.
very very often I will be say in alpine reading my in box and suddenly everything freezes.
I get an error,
"waited 15 seconds for server to respond, still waiting."
often this reaches a full minute then the program asks if I want to disconnect. I have asked dreamhost about the problem, since it is random and they cannot duplicate it, trouble shooting presents a challenge. For those of you who maintain your own servers tough, I am wondering if You might have an idea about the error? Is there a setting or configuration in Alpine that might prevent it from happening?
Thanks,
Karen