Re: Debian and Firefox/Iceweasel

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016, H Kyu wrote:

> ​Hello -
>
> Recently, Mozilla's Firefox browser introduced a few new features
> that got me to remove Firefox on my Windows PC altogether.  The
> features were Hello, Camera Access (Android), and screen-sharing.
> Every single one of those features did not sit well with me from a
> security perspective.  On top of that, Firefox seems to be splitting
> away from the Gecko engine, the Gecko engine was the main reason for
> my using Firefox in the first place - because I disliked the
> functional model of WebKits.  If I wanted a WebKit, I'd have used
> Chrome.
>
> Then there is the interface - I prefer the Firefox 1 interface... in
> fact, I prefer the Netscape Navigator 4's interface even better -
> practical and informational.  I like my status bar, and all my
> buttons showing all the time, even if disabled.  I like status
> indicators, which includes grayed-out buttons.  I also prefer the old
> settings screen where the browser remembers the last settings tab,
> and I can see all the settings without scrolling.  I am still amazed
> at the fact that Firefox would just abandon their core fans and move
> away to cater to others.

I like real manual transmissions:  They are simplier, last two to
three times longer (maybe more) than automatics, have fewer problems,
give better gas mileage, are easier to repair when they do break, and
the driver chooses the proper time to shift not some design engineer.
Unfortunately, almost all cars and trucks come with automatic by
default.  No one these days is even taught how to drive with a manual
transmission.  Makes for lousier drivers.

Ditto, the classic browser interface.  Everything these days is oriented
to users of smartphones and tablets which software providers have
deemed THE MARKET.  Progress doesn't alway mean better.

> Debian's Gnome uses Iceweasel much like Windows uses IE.

Not really.  Iceweasel is just Firefox with all branding removed.
Necessary to fulfill Debian and Firefox's legal policies.

> MY QUESTION:  Would Iceweasel also be incorporating those bothersome
> features in the near future?  If so, would it be possible to use
> Debian without Iceweasel or any Mozilla product?

It might.  And, of course.

Feel free to use any Linux compatible browser you wish.
There are more than just Firefox/Iceweasel or Chrome.  Just because
they aren't in the repositories, doesn't mean they won't work.

> Window 7 coming to an end in 2020, and Windows 10 being essentially
> spyware, I am seriously looking for an alternative system.  I have
> been using Debian on my 2nd computer for a few years now and I am
> quite comfortable with the basics of the operating system so Debian
> is my first choice.  But if Iceweasel incorporates those Firefox
> features, I would have to also switch away from Debian.

Take a look at Opera.  Lots of others, too, out there.