Re: how to install debian on iMac

On Feb 19, 2016, at 9:31 PM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone tried successfully to install the debian into the iMac with
> Fusion drive?
>
> The basic configuration is
>
> •   2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
> •   Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200
> •   8GB 1867MHz LPDDR3
> •   1TB Fusion Drive
>
> Where I can find a step-by-step guide?
>
> Thanks,

Hi Lina,

As noted by another person on the list, there is a fairly complete installation guide at
    https://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/#stable

I've never tried installing Debian on an intel-based Mac before, but as it happens, I do have a MacBook-Pro from about 2007 or so that I recently retired and replaced with with a much lighter MacBook Air.  Since your biggest problem is probably going to be getting the installer to boot, I'm willing to work through it with you step-by-step using my MacBook-Pro and your iMac.

The first question will be, "Does your iMac have a functioning DVD or CD drive?"
The second question will be, "Do you have access to the Internet? If so, is it wifi or wired ethernet?"

Let's keep the conversation on the debian-user list for the time being.  There may be others who have knowledge to contribute.

Enjoy!
Rick

PS:  And thanks for the kind words from Stephen Allen!