Re: how to install debian on iMac

Hello:

On 20/02/16 23:13, Rick Thomas wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2016, at 9:31 PM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried successfully to install the debian into the iMac
>> with Fusion drive?
>>
>> The basic configuration is
>>
>> •   2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to
>> 3.3GHz •   Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 •   8GB 1867MHz LPDDR3 •
>> 1TB Fusion Drive
>>
>> Where I can find a step-by-step guide?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> Hi Lina,
>
> As noted by another person on the list, there is a fairly complete
> installation guide at https://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/#stable
>
> I've never tried installing Debian on an intel-based Mac before, but
> as it happens, I do have a MacBook-Pro from about 2007 or so that I
> recently retired and replaced with with a much lighter MacBook Air.
> Since your biggest problem is probably going to be getting the
> installer to boot, I'm willing to work through it with you
> step-by-step using my MacBook-Pro and your iMac.

One of the main issues with Mac computers are related to UEFI:
- it appears that grub 2 now deals rather well with it;
- old machines may not have a proper UEFI firmware: this may be a major
  different between your old MacBook-Pro and a recent iMac.

There is a Debian website dedicated to MacBookPro machines.
Ubuntu also provides information.

> The first question will be, "Does your iMac have a functioning DVD or
> CD drive?" The second question will be, "Do you have access to the
> Internet? If so, is it wifi or wired ethernet?"

DVD/CD drives are disappearing monsters.
Anyway, netinstall may hold on a lot of USB stick and is now able to
manage efi boot (Jessie 8.3)

> Let's keep the conversation on the debian-user list for the time
> being.  There may be others who have knowledge to contribute.
>
> Enjoy! Rick
>
> PS:  And thanks for the kind words from Stephen Allen!

hth,
Jerome