Re: connect Ethernet to WiFi?

I use a ralink adapter that came with an antenna I think about 4 inches long and it has no trouble communicating with a router two rooms away but I don't know far the router could be moved before the signal degraded. The connector for the antenna is a screw on type.

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016, Sven Arvidsson wrote:

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 14:34:10
From: Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: connect Ethernet to WiFi?

On Thu, 2016-02-18 at 14:00 -0500, doug wrote:
I looked at the first url shown above, and I see two usb adapters
smaller than a matchbook, and one with an antenna. Recently I had to
spend some time in a rehab center, and I did not have a Linux driver
for
my old Dell laptop, so I bought something like one of those
small adapters. _Do not!_  As I should have known (being a retired
RF
engineer) they have no range! The gadget with the antenna may
work. (I was trying to hit a "hot spot" external to the facility. I
finally found a driver--not easy!--using Windows-- which allowed the
internal
wifi system to work.) OTOH, if you're only trying to connect across
room, the little matchbook size gadget will probably be OK.

I very much agree, I always buy the ones that can take a large external
antenna. With one of those I have no problem getting reception in the
basement, with the router two floors up.