Re: High CPU load, but nothing consuming it...

On 02/18/2016 08:43 AM, Florent B wrote:

On 02/18/2016 05:31 PM, Erick Ocrospoma wrote:
Hi,

On 18 February 2016 at 10:26, Florent B <florent@coppint.com> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Today I have a little problem with a server on Jessie.

It acts as a load balancer with IPVS+Keepalived.

It is clustered with another server as failover, both servers have the
same problem. Even if one of them is "slave", without charge.

Sometime CPU load jump over 15 (1min average) and goes down to near zero
a few minutes later. In the meantime, all CPU stats are "normal" (stable
iowait, etc.).

Here you can see my monitoring graphs for CPU Load :
http://oi65.tinypic.com/kccu9.jpg

And there for CPU utilization : http://oi66.tinypic.com/2w6sz9s.jpg

You can see CPU is always idle...

Both servers are virtualized with kvm last version.

I have other servers like this, configured the same way, which does not
have the problem.

Does someone have an idea on how to explain this ?

Thank you a lot.

Florent

When I/O is high but cpu is not comsumed at all, it could be network
who is generating load. Do you have any network graph or stat ?

Hi and thank you for your answer.

Here are network graphs for the period :
http://oi67.tinypic.com/macbvp.jpg & http://oi67.tinypic.com/2h7i15j.jpg

Network is not included in I/O ? As you can see there is no extra load
on network at this specific time...

Try using KsysGuard. I keep it in the bottom right of my screen at all times. The process table will tell you which process is soaking up your cpu time. This may give you a better chance of finding the problem. You could also use ps but KsysGuard is way easier to use.

Gary R.