group membership activation

Hi,

Running a fresh Jessie install on a laptop with GNOME.
Today I had to add a user (me) to a group (wireshark) for a program (wireshark gui) to work. At first I thought I did something wrong but after a reboot it did work, wireshark was able to see the interfaces.

So probably group membership is not determined at runtime but maybe at login or some other moment. Where can I find more info about this?
Is this a problem specific to a desktop environment of can I run into this with a straight CLI setup as well?

I know that in a Windows environment the group membership is added to the user token at login. Changes in group membership have no effect untill the user logs in again.

Bonno Bloksma