Re: group membership activation

On 2/18/2016 8:10 AM, Bonno Bloksma wrote:
Hi,

Running a fresh Jessie install on a laptop with GNOME.
Today I had to add a user (me) to a group (wireshark) for a program (wireshark gui) to work. At first I thought I did something wrong but after a reboot it did work, wireshark was able to see the interfaces.

So probably group membership is not determined at runtime but maybe at login or some other moment. Where can I find more info about this? Is this a problem specific to a desktop environment of can I run into this with a straight CLI setup as well?

I know that in a Windows environment the group membership is added to the user token at login. Changes in group membership have no effect untill the user logs in again.

Bonno Bloksma

If you know enough to know that about Windows, I don't know why you would assume there was a problem
or that you did something wrong in Linux.

It's not a problem, it's by design.

Mysteriously the first things that come up for me on google don't mention it....

https://www.pluralsight.com/blog/tutorials/linux-add-user-command

http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/debian/book/ch07_01.html

Probably easily overlooked, but the relevant Archwiki page does mention that if the user is logged in at the time the change is made, they will need to log out and log in before they see the change.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/users_and_groups

Later, Seeker