pam_smbpass.so

I'm seeing a large number of entries in my /var/log/syslog that look
like this:

Feb 16 09:07:31 snowball auth: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_smbpass.so): /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Feb 16 09:07:31 snowball auth: PAM adding faulty module: pam_smbpass.so

Googling the error mesage, I see lots of very old bug reports (mainly
2008 timeframe, though a few are as recent as 2012 -- still pretty old)
that look like this ubuntu forum thread:

but nothing recent.

The fix in almost all those cases seems to have been to install
libpam-smbpass (which makes sense, since that's where pam_smbpass.so
lives).  I have that package installed, so I have
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/security/pam_smbpass.so

So... this is, of course, not the directory that's being reported as the
location of the missing file, however PAM is supposed to search
/lib/security/ and /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/security for modules.  I've
tried putting a symbolic link from the real file to
/lib/security/pam_smbpass.so, which only gives me a raft of different
error messages having to do with failed page mappings.

I don't have any i386 PAM modules (nor libpam0g:i386) installed, and
(checking) have no /lib/i386/security/ directory at all.

/lib/security has very few files in it (only pam_dbus.so
pam_gnome_keyring.so  pam_mount.so  pam_unix2.so), and they're all
x86-64.  All my other PAM modules are (as far as I know) in
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/security/, but pam_smbpass.so is the only one
throwing the "no such file" error.

So...  any idea what's going on here, and more importantly how to fix
it?  I also see consistently that this is a harmless message, but it
bugs me...