Re: Welcome to emergency mode!

On Feb 10, 2016, at 12:42 PM, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> I hope you eventually get to study the journal even if you don't have
> /var/log/journal. You might post the output from:

The systemd journal is, by default, kept in the directory, /run/log/journal.  Because it is in the "/run" filesystem, it is volatile -- it disappears and is re-created fresh during the reboot process.

However if the directory, /var/log/journal, exists, the journal is kept there, which is persistent and does not disappear upon reboot.

So, if you want to be able to look at journals from previous boot sessions, you need to do (as root)
    mkdir /var/log/journal

This is all documented in "man journalctl", along with a lot of other helpful stuff.  Recommended reading!

Rick