Re: Welcome to emergency mode!

On Tue 09 Feb 2016 at 14:50:40 -0700, Bob Holtzman wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 05:52:27PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> > Bob Holtzman writes:
> > > As root journalctl produces a long list, tail journalctl produces
> >
> > > "tail: cannot open ‘journalctl’ for reading: No such file or directory".
> >
> > > Now I'm really confused. Any explanation?
> >
> > journalctl is a program for querying the systemd journal.  tail is a
> > tool to output the last part of a file.
> >
> > man journalctl
> >
> > man tail
>
> Of course. What's your point?

The tail *command* operates *on files*. It opens the file and displays
the last 10 lines of it. (I think we both agree on that because we have
read the same manual).

  tail journalctl

attempts to open a file with the name journalctl in your home directory.
(As the output tells you - it does not exist).

If the file is not in your home directory you have to inform tail where
it is by giving the full path. Like so:

  tail /bin/journalctl