Re: Meta key for 'emacs -nw'

On Tue 02 Feb 2016 at 13:38:26 (-0600), Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * On 2016 01 Feb 21:30 -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>
> > What I've not sat down and figured out is how to use Ctl-Left/Right to
> > navigate word left/right but use Alt-B/F instead.  Even Bash will allow
> > the Ctl variants.
>
> I think I resolved my Ctrl-arrow keys following this page:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CuaModeTerminalProblems
>
> Unless one is using an actual Linux VC the keymap information can be
> ignored.

Fair enough. I just want my VC to behave as much like X as I can
manage, and I prefer to configure it system-wide and in the Debian way.

I didn't like the footnote on that page: "I am using the complete
version without problems outside X. But I couldn’t make it work on
xterm with ‘emacs -nw’. But (again), if you are using X, why use
‘-nw’? :)" Waiting for a remote system's window to map is a pain.

> I added the stanza at the bottom of that page to my
> ~/.emacs-mail which is loaded only when calling Emacs from Mutt.  I also
> added the TERM type of "screen-256color" to the list of "linux" and
> "xterm" so the Ctrl-arrow work through TMUX in Emacs.
>
> While that page is linked from the CUA page:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CuaMode
>
> it seems independent.  That said, I did enable CUA mode so I get the
> familiar cut, copy, paste, undo keys.

I tend to stick with the native behaviour as much as possible;
fewer surprises when you use a different or unconfigured system.

> However, it appears that Xfce
> Terminal (others?) traps the Shift-arrow keys so as to enable
> line-by-line scrolling as with the default keymap of the Linux console.

That's odd. In an xterm, Shift-arrows seem to make/modify the
selection as one might expect.

Cheers,
David.