Re: lightdm/xfce4, lost my window manager and my panels and some session state

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 09:47:50 +0900
Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

>Several days back, after a late night session when I was asleep at the
>keyboard by the time I logged at, xfwm4 quit starting up after logging
>in from lightdm (which is my default dm).
>
>There were no title bars and no trim. I could right-click on the
>desktop and get the applications menu and start applications from
>that, but I couldn't get keyboard focus into a terminal window to run
>any commands from the command line.
>
>Logging in on a virtual console (ctl-alt-Fn), I could check
>
>    ps wwaux | grep xf
>
>and see that the window manager, xfwm4, did not show up. I could
>
>    startx
>
>from there and the window manager and panels would be in place,
>without memory of any of my session state. Logging out of x11 there,
>and logging back out and back in through lightdm, there was no change
>for the lightdm managed login. No title bars, no panels, most of my
>session stuff still gone.
>
>>From the application menu's "Run Program" (or whatever it is in
>English) item, I was able to use the
>
>    xfwm4 --replace &
>
>command and get the window manager and title bars back. Logging out
>and in, my window manage was back, but not my panels.
>
>Running
>
>    xfce4-panel
>
>from a terminal window, I got my panels back and those persisted
>through logging out and in, as well.
>
>Still missing most of my workspace session state, and what is left is
>all collected into a single workspace.
>
>Well, all my workspaces were way cluttered, and it was probably time
>to clean up anyway.
>
>:-P
>
>Would be interested in any suggestions about why that might have
>happened (ergo, about what my fingers might have typed/moused while I
>was not at home upstairs).

Someone deleted ~/.cache or ~/.config/xfce4 or some file in there.
Could also be a bug, used to have issues with Xfwm4 not starting always.

Xfce uses startxfce4 instead of startx, that could account for not
getting everything to start right again. Once you kick the dekstop in,
it doesn't care how it got there, but if done wrong it will lose its
mind and configuration data. You can add workspaces again, from
settings -> Workspaces. They will be empty, but at least they will be
there.

I keep xfce4-panel in startup and sessions, auto-start, just to make
sure it always runs. For reasons unknown, it will sometimes fail to
start.

- --
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914