Re: Jessie 8.3 - still no update notifications

> On Jan 28, 2016, at 3:06 PM, Juan R. de Silva <juan.r.d.silva@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> These are all nice but only workarounds.

Late into the thread. I'm sure someone has already suggested this, but just in case...

I use the Debian cron script 'apticron'. It talks directly with Debian, so it knows about updates to all Debian software. I have cron run it in the middle of the night. It downloads the updates, and in the morning I have email telling me what needs to be updated and why, and instructions on just what to do to install the updates.

Civilized software.

I've never heard of the GNOME update thing you describe, but apticron does the job very nicely and updates all of Debian. It does a whole lot more than just the GNOME GUI.

--
Glenn English